Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Living Room Upgrade

I am so excited to reveal our upgraded look of a living room!  I cant stress enough what a coat of paint can do to a room. We went from this dark and drab of a room:




To bright and open! 


Much better right?!?  Well let me tell you how we did it.  First of all I apologize for all who couldn't wait to see the original paneling that I wanted to do.  My husband and I went to Home Depot and were totally sticker shocked!  It would have cost about $250 just to panel that back wall.  So back to the drawing board . . for a cheaper option.

We sat around looking at our house and got inspiration right from our windows:


 So we decided to mimic that same decorative trim to frame out the TV. The best part of how this turned out is that it looks like the trim addition always belonged in our house. This project ended up costing about $50 with all the supplies and a full day of work. After cutting and using the nail gun to attach the molding to the wall, I caulked all the edges waited 2 hours and then painted the trim.  Here are some photos during the process:




What a difference huh!  Well in addition to working on the molding and paint, I got to work on making some frames.  Remember these frame scraps I purchased?!:


Well I made some additional frames for my refreshed Living Room:


The frames are quit easy to make with just a 45 degree cut and wood glue with clamps to hold over night. 

I hope you are inspired and I hope that you find a room in your house that you can lighten up!  Enjoy!




5 comments:

  1. Paint really does make such a difference doesn't it? It opens your room soo much and makes it feel even bigger:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very nice! I am looking for a nice grey color, I see in your previous post you put the swatch color, which brand of paint did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Behr paint with primer from home depot! I only had to do 1 coat of paint . . love that paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fabulous! I am sooooo glad that you are using those lights in the cubby AND that you painted it. The room looks amazing, you did a fabulous job. Interesting you like the Behr paint, we loved Lowe's paint but then they changed it and ugh it was horrible. Have not tried Behr yet. Looks great!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Hey quick question. . so we just had the speakers replaced out side and upstairs. Can I ask what the speaker in the bathroom upstairs was used for? Thanks! If you come back to town you have to stop by!

    ReplyDelete